Skillful Guide on BricklayingPosted by: Finlay Hewitt | Posted on: April 13, 2019
Bricklaying is not just about laying bricks, it's a skillful process which requires concentration and artistic skills to deliver better output.
Bricklaying is one of the essential things to consider in constructing and maintaining various structures. The most common dilemma that people are facing is whether to choose between wood and bricks for their construction, which depends on their economic standards and location.
The process of bricklaying has a few steps involved. Before that, we need to measure the area and make architectural plans for the construction.
- Setting up the mortar correctly
- The sand used for mortar should contain a small percentage of clay in it.
- The sand should be free from foreign particles for good finishing.
- For light finishing, we can use light-colored sand and for the dark finishing, we can use orange brick sand.
- Depending on the amount of moisture content in the sand we should mix the water. We must make sure that the mortar should be wet enough to stick to the trowel.
- Adding a small amount of lime makes the mortar more flexible.
Using the Trowel
Before using the trowel, we must know about it and make ourselves comfortable in using it properly. You can browse https://sebrickandblock.com.au/ to get more info about bricklaying.
The best way of applying mortar is to scoop one full trowel and fold it two times, then scoop that up and apply it to the bricks.
- Positioning ourselves while laying brick is very important for neat and clean work.
- Laying the brick
- The most important thing to remember while bricklaying is to do the work patiently.
- Heap the mortar in the center of the damp mortarboard.
- We must pick enough mortar on the trowel.
- Spread the brick bed with mortar for two to four bricks.
- Pick the brick in your brick hand and lay it on the brick line, make sure to remove excess mortar to keep the face clear.
The biggest advantage of block and bricklaying is its low maintenance. If we install it once, it lasts for a very long time. Bricks and blocks come in different variety of colors and they are durable. It withstands heat and offers better fire protection than wood. It also acts as a sound barrier by keeping the sound outside.
If a brick wall is damaged, it is very difficult to repair. If we have to replace a single brick in the wall, we have to remove the entire wall. If the moisture builds up on the brick it becomes brittle. If the organic brick is exposed to water it will be discolored and faded over time.